i wanted to mix up my usual oatmeal routine…and it’s a saturday, so it seemed appropriate to do so. i hadn’t made baked oatmeal in years, but it was as easy as i had hoped.
i substituted the skim milk for soya milk and the oats for quick-cook oats…it was divine.
this is a simple (and well deserving of re-posting) recipe for any banana-and-oat lovers:
Slice 2 bananas. You can add these however you like – in with the wet ingredients or arranged in a pattern on the top (and/or bottom!) of the dish. (You’ll need an additional mashed banana for the wet ingredients below)
2) Combine the dry ingredients:
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
3) Combine the wet ingredients:
- 1 egg, beat
- 1 mashed banana
- 1.5 cups skim milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
4) Pour the wet ingredients into the dry. Mix well.
5) Line an 8″ pan (square or round) with parchment paper (for easy removal and cutting!).
6) Layer some banana slices on the bottom. Pour batter into pan. Top with remaining banana slices.
OR just use cooking spray – or a pie dish (which is harder to get out in one piece but saves having to use parchment)
7) Pop into a 375* oven for about 26 minutes.
After 26 minutes, increase heat to broil, sprinkle oatmeal with 1 heaping tbsp brown sugar and broil for 3-4 minutes.
Makes 4 portions about 275 kcal, 6 grams fiber and 11 grams protein each. We saved one portion to reheat tomorrow!
from the culinary stylings of: http://www.katheats.com/favorite-foods/baked-banana-oatmeal